Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Penn and Teller

Are my new gawds. Really. Funny that ardent atheists would inspire a religion, but what can ya do?

Seriously, I am huge fans of theirs for years now, and was very jazzed about seeing them this year. I missed seeing them last year because my flight was delayed 8 hours, and I got in way late. This time I knew I would get in in plenty of time, so I went ahead and got tickets for Sunday night.
Kewl thing is that Balleys and the Rio, the hotel that Penn and Teller (from now on PNT cause it takes forever to type the other) perform at, are owned by the same megacorperation. So they offer a shuttle service between the hotels. Very sweet, as walking to the Rio is really dangerous as they are across the interstate from where I am staying. So, rode over, got my tickets, but had like an hours wait even before they opened the doors. So a couple of vodka martinis and a nice cigar kept me company.

My seats were front row center. SWEET. After getting seated, part of the PNT show is that they allow the audience to come on stage before the show starts and touch and observe some props that they plan on using in the show. This time it was a large wooden box, and a bulletin board with today's date and a sealed envelope on it. We were asked to come up and sign the envelope, which I did, and examine the box, which I did not. They did the same thing with the boxes when I was here a couple of years ago, so I know the trick with it.

So the show starts and I am just grooving on it. The good thing about seeing it more than once is that they change the show often, so new stuff is added all the time, and old stuff taken out. This time there were several new bits I had never seen, like one involving different sizes of Animal Traps, such as they used to capture animals for their pelts, and Teller risking life and limb to snatch the bait off them to make a sammich. One bit left in was the only one where Teller speaks in it. The thing is he has a wood chipper on stage with him, running very loudly, so you never hear what he says.

This is a card trick where he has an audience member choose a card, tears off the corner and gives it to that participant, then replaces the card in the deck and throws the deck in the woodchipper. As the pieces of cards flys out, he catches the car that was chosen. And who did he pick to help him with this? Why that would be me. YES!!! WOOO HOOO it was so freaken cool. After the trick was over he let me keep the card, which I got signed by him and Penn after the show was over. One of the amazing things is that they will stay after the show in the lobby and sign tons of autographs. Very kewl guys.

I floated home, so happy about what happened. I could almost have come home after that, it made my whole trip.

Well, almost...But of course I didn't. LOL

No pics, cause the lighting in the theater didn't agree with my digital. Its very light sensitive, and will be blinded by light sometime. I did take pics with my disposable, so after I get them developed, I will post them.

More tomorrow....Sightseeing, and Avenue Q.

No comments: